WHY CHOOSE CHIROPRACTIC? (How about 10 reasons!)
- Chiropractic increases your lifespan and improves your overall health and well-being!– Regular chiropractic care instills patients with a sense of “health-confidence”. Patients learn to take charge of their own well-being, and in turn, increase their longevity and add a heightened quality-of-life. Chiropractic adjustments remove nervous system interference, improving nerve flow to all the organ systems of the body, allowing them to function optimally, and thereby increasing their longevity. So you live longer, and feel great while doing it!!
- Chiropractic Improves Sleep Quality – Chiropractic patients often enjoy an improved quality of life, including the quality of their sleep. This is due to a reduction in pain and anxiety which often interferes with sleep patterns. Improved sleep enhances immunity and your ability to fight disease. Some exciting preliminary research links insomnia with vertebral subluxations. The study collected data on 221 patients being cared for by 15 different chiropractors. According to the findings, “ one-third of the 154 patients who completed the semi-structured interview reported their findings immediately after their chiropractic adjustment. All but one of these 52 patients reported improvement” in the 20 patients with insomnia, Improved sleep was noted in the six days following the chiropractic adjustment. ”However, no consistent trends were noted in the days and weeks following care, so additional research is necessary before a firm link may be established” (*JMPT 2005;28:179).
- Chiropractic Reduces Dependency on Medications– Individuals who maintain regular chiropractic care are far less likely to overuse medication, which all have dangerous side effects. Even OTC pain medication may cause problems in the gastrointestinal system. In addition, long-term use of pain medication can actually worsen the very symptoms they were intended to reduce – a “rebound’ reaction. “Rebound” headaches are relatively new, and describe a long-standing, “unnamed” and largely unrecognized condition caused by taking painkillers — daily or on a regular basis — from migraines or other headaches. Remember, while these conditions are common, they are NOT normal!
- Chiropractic Care Encourages Increased Physical Activity – Patients frequently find that chiropractic care jump starts them toward a more wellness-oriented lifestyle, simply because they can move more and with less pain and greater energy.
- Chiropractic Reduces Stress – Chiropractic care reduces stress by allowing the body to achieve a balance in stress hormones. In addition, chiropractic helps keep patients free of the impairments to regular exercise, which is key to reducing stress and preventing stress-related anxiety and depression. And, while chiropractors do not treat depression, preliminary research demonstrates that chiropractic adjustments may ease depressive symptoms by increasing endorphins. “It has been long speculated that chiropractic interventions may affect mental health problems,” note researchers. Investigators followed 15 adults who were both clinically depressed and had cervical spine subluxations. Before and after receiving an adjustment, the subjects completed a standard assessment for depression called the Beck Depression Inventory II. Results revealed a marked reduction in depression scores following treatment (*JVSR 2005:1-4)
- Chiropractic Boosts Immunity – Scientific research reveals that regularly scheduled chiropractic care may boost the body’s immune response. And a powerful immune system is a key component of chiropractic health care. One study involved 11 patients over a nine-month period. The pilot study provided preliminary information regarding chiropractic care and possible links to improved immune status. Chiropractic care also boosted other aspects of health and quality of life – as mentioned above (*JVSR 2006 1-6). Another study in 1991 found that chiropractic adjustments boost levels of polymorphonuclear neutrophils (PMN) and monocytes — white blood cells associated with a healthy immune system (*JMPT 1991; 7:399-408). The following are clinical studies or documented cases, which have shown that Chiropractic care naturally boosts the immunity of patients by 200% or more) Author Katie Gilbert’s great article, “Immune Boost: This is a Spinal Zap covering how immune function is greatly improved with regular chiropractic care” was published in Psychology Today 24 August 2006. It contained the following interesting paragraph on the flu: “Chiropractic care was first linked to improved immunity during the deadly flu epidemic of 1917 and 1918. The funny thing was: Chiropractic patients fared better than the general population. This observation spurred a study of the field. The data revealed that flu victims under chiropractic care had an estimated 0.25 percent death rate, a lot less than the normal rate of 5 percent among flu victims who did not receive chiropractic care.” This equates to Chiropractic patients having a 20 fold better result.b)The study performed by the chief of cancer prevention at New York’s Preventive Medicine Institute and professor of medicine at New York University – Ronald Pero, Ph.D. In his 3 year study Dr. Pero found that the 107 chiropractic patients had a 200% greater immune competence than people who had not received chiropractic care, and in fact a 400% greater immune competence than other people who had cancer or other serious disease. Further he found that the immune system superiority of those under chiropractic care did not diminish with age. Dr. Pero commented, “I have never seen a group other than this chiropractic group experience a 200% increase over the normal patients. This is why it is so dramatically important.” Specifically the study demonstrated that the cells responsible for engulfing and destroying viruses, bacteria, parasites and cancer cells are anywhere from 2 times to 4 times more active in people who get regular chiropractic care. Scientifically thestudy demonstrated that the “phagocytic respiratory burst of polymorphonuclear neutrophils (PMN) and monocytes were enhanced in people that had been adjusted by chiropractors.”c)Another study published in Chiropractic Research Journal, 1994; 3(1) showed that Chiropractic adjustments increase immune cell counts 48% in AIDS patients. At the same time for the control group who did not receive any Chiropractic care the immune cell counts actually fell 8%. So the patients receiving the Chiropractic care were very much better off for it.”
- Chiropractic Improves Cognitive Function – Mapping of brain activity before and after chiropractic adjustments of the spine and the neck reveals that chiropractic care stimulates cognitive function. In a study involving 500 adult volunteers. Researchers used cutting edge technology to create maps of functioning in the cortical portions of the brain before and after chiropractic adjustments of the cervical spine. Researchers found that “cervical adjustments activate specific neurological pathways” in the brain, potentially stimulating cognitive function (*JMPT 1997;20:529).
- Chiropractic Boosts Productivity – Since chiropractic care keeps you healthier, you will also find that your efficiency at work increases. For example, chiropractic care rids low back pain associated with sitting hour after hour in ergonomically incorrect chairs. In a review of 250 employees receiving workers compensation for low back pain– 72 of whom had no physically therapeutic care — patients receiving spinal adjustments experienced greater reductions in pain and disability. This translated into lower therapeutic costs and a faster return to work (*Spine Journal 2006; 6:289-295).
- Chiropractic Prevents Other Conditions – Disorders that may be helped by chiropractic range from infantile colic, ear infections and behavioral problems to PMS, high blood pressure and Parkinson’s disease. It is well understood that vertebral subluxations affect nervous system functioning. Along with the brain, the spinal cord is the main component of the central nervous system, which controls nervous system functioning throughout the body and supplies nerve energy for all the body structures and organs. Many patients who present to chiropractors for treatment report positive changes in other areas of their health as well as their primary complaint.
- Chiropractic Alleviates Pain – Chiropractors address the underlying cause of pain disorders, headaches, low back pain and sports injuries by treating the cause, not covering the symptoms. Quite often, those painful conditions are linked to dysfunctional areas in the spine known as vertebral subluxations – where movement is restricted or spinal bones are misaligned. Chiropractors adjust vertebral subluxations and this often alleviates the pain.